Praziquantel 60 grams
Praziquantel is used to treat diseases in mammals and fish that are caused by infection with several types of internal/gastrointestinal, and external parasites, including:
- Salmon poisoning disease
- Hydatid disease caused by infection of various organs with larval stages of tapeworms of the genus Echinococcus
- Cysticercosis caused by infection of the brain and/or muscles with the eggs and larvae of the pork tapeworm Taenia solium (though it has been judged less effective than albendazole in treatment of neurocysticercosis)
- In cats and dogs whose gastrointestinal tract is infected with the tapeworms Dipylidium caninum or Taenia taeniaeformis, respectively;praziquantel is also often used in fixed combination with pyrantel embonate against the roundworms (ascarids): Toxocara cati and Toxascaris leonina. Praziquantel is also effective against Echinococcus multilocularis.
- Schistosomiasis caused by trematodes of the genus Schistosoma. As of 2005, praziquantel is the primary treatment for human schistosomiasis, for which it is usually effective in a single dose.
- Clonorchiasis brought on by the Chinese liver fluke Clonorchis sinensis
- Paragonimiasis caused by infection with lung flukes, mostly of the species Paragonimus westermani
- Fasciolopsiasis caused by intestinal fluke Fasciolopsis buski